As a mom and football fan, the last place I want to be on Super Bowl Sunday is in the kitchen. Whether you are a die-hard fan or just in it for the party, food is an integral part of the Super Bowl experience. My Top 5 Super Bowl Appetizers fit four requirements: quick and easy to make, appeal to a wide variety of tastes, keep well on the table for hours, and replace dinner in an acceptable way. While I believe events like the Super Bowl call for a little indulgence, I still want to feel good about what I’m feeding my family and friends. So, let’s count down my Top 5 Super Bowl Appetizers.
- Fruit Tray I know this may not seem like a Super Bowl staple, but trust me I have my reasons. A fruit tray will appeal to the vegetarians, the children, and everyone else in those moments when the more indulgent foods leave them feeling heavy. Choose fruits that will keep well on the table for a successful fruit tray. I suggest a variety of berries, grapes, and clementines or orange slices.
- Pigs in a Blanket These are incredibly easy to make and offer a quick, one-bite option.
Ingredients: 1 package Litl’ Smokies Cocktail Links, 1 package Crescent Rolls
Directions: Preheat oven to temperature listed on Crescent Roll package. Unroll Crescent Rolls and cut each triangle into 4 smaller triangles. Roll one cocktail link in each of the small triangles and place, seam down, on baking tray. Cook for time designated on Crescent Roll package.
*Serve with a variety of dips such as; ketchup, mustard, or barbecue sauce.
- Chips and Dip This appetizer provides a small snack for those holding back on overindulging and require little to no preparation. Serve a variety of chips and dips such as Tortilla Chips and Salsa or Guacamole and Regular potato chips with French Onion Dip.
- Cheese and Pepperoni Tray Pizza is probably one of the most served Super Bowl foods, but this tray can replace that option. Choose a variety of crackers and 2-3 cheeses to serve with pre-sliced pepperoni for minimal prep work.
- Chicken Wing Dip Pizza and wings are practically synonymous with the Super Bowl in my household so some form is necessary. Chicken wing dip can be served with carrots and celery, crackers, bread, and/or chips. You can make the dip and keep it warm in a small-serving crockpot.
Ingredients: 1 8 oz. package softened cream cheese, ½ cup hot sauce, ½ cup blue cheese dressing, 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken, ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions: combine all ingredients in small slow cooker and heat on High 1 ½ hours.